Baghdad – INA
The Iraqi News Agency has published the most prominent statement by Supreme Leader Ali al-Sistani during a meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rowhani on Wednesday.
The following are the highlights of these points:
- We welcome any step towards strengthening Iraq's relations with its neighbors according to the interests of both parties and on the basis of respecting the sovereignty of states and non-interference in their internal affairs.
- The heroic Iraqis made sacrifices in the fateful war and the victory over organizing the calling of the terrorist and keeping the danger away from the whole region.
- The most important challenges facing Iraq are combating corruption, improving public services and limiting the arms of the state and its security apparatuses.
- We hope that the Iraqi government will make acceptable progress in these areas.
- Regional and international policies in this sensitive region must be balanced and moderate in order to avoid further tragedies and damage to their peoples.
Theresa May said on Friday she would quit, setting up a contest that will bring a new British prime minister to power who could pursue a cleaner break with the European Union.